Los Angeles, California, USA: Hollywood’s biggest night, the Oscars ceremonies, will not feature an official host guiding the event this year, according to the president of ABC Entertainment which will broadcast the Academy Awards on Feb. 24.
Karey Burke told television reporters that the telecast would have “a pretty exciting opening” even without a host.
This is not the first time that the awards show went on without a host.
The last time the Oscars went host-less, in 1989, the opening featured actor Rob Lowe and Snow White in a regrettable song and dance number.
“This time, ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke says the decision to go without a host was made “wisely” by the show’s producers. She promised to keep the Feb. 24 telecast down to just three hours,” Del Barco added.
The question of who would host the Oscars had bedeviled the network ever since comedian Kevin Hart stepped down as the planned emcee following the reaction to some anti-gay slurs he had tweeted between 2009 and 2011.
What did ABC Entertainment say?
ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke said the ceremony on 24 February in Los Angeles would forgo a host and “just have presenters host the Oscars”.
The decision was taken after Hart’s withdrawal, she said.
Ms Burke added that “the mystery” hanging about this year’s event “has been compelling”, proving that viewers were keen to watch it.
A number of Academy Awards ceremony have had no host. In the last such case – a highly controversial event in 1989 – producer Allan Carr made the decision in order to make room for more celebrity presenters.
The role of anchoring the Oscars has thrown up problems for a number of hosts since then. The Hollywood Reporter has described it as “the least wanted job in Hollywood”.
The controversy about Hart’s tweets comes after a difficult few years for the Academy that have seen Envelopegate, the OscarsSoWhite campaign and the scrapping of a proposed popular film award category.