As the number of confirmed measles cases in New York continues to tick up, one county is determined to stem the spread of the disease by keeping it out of public spaces. Rockland County, just north of New York City, issued an order Tuesday barring anyone diagnosed with measles from all places of public assembly, including schools, restaurants and places of worship.
The order also applies to people who have been exposed to a person diagnosed with measles, based on laboratory evidence or an investigation by the county health department.
Earlier this month, a judge blocked the county’s emergency declaration keeping unvaccinated children from public places.
“To be told that we should wait for someone to die because of this disease is absolutely beyond belief,” said Rockland County Executive Ed Day at a press conference Monday. “Should we wait for hundreds more people to also fall ill?”
It’s the latest measure officials in the region have taken to combat the spread of measles. As of Monday, 186 cases had been confirmed in Rockland County and 329 in New York City since the beginning of the year. The outbreaks, which are centered in ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities, have been associated with travelers returning from Israel, according to the Centers for Disease Control and prevention.
Cases have also been recorded across the country, including in Washington state, New Jersey, California and Michigan, bringing the total number to over 550. It’s the second largest outbreak in the U.S. in two decades.
On Monday, New York City closed a preschool program at a yeshiva in Brooklyn for failing to comply with measles vaccination requirements. The closing, which is the first for this outbreak, came less than a week after Mayor Bill De Blasio issued an emergency declaration that mandates measles vaccines for all children in four Brooklyn ZIP codes.