Dallas Woman Dies After Botched Plastic Surgery In Mexico

by Kim Boateng Posted on November 25th, 2018

Dallas, Texas, USA : Laura Avila, a 36-year-old Dallas woman, previously of the El Paso area, who suffered brain damage after a cosmetic procedure in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico has died, according to her sister’s post on Facebook.

Laura Monica Avila died on Saturday  almost a month after the procedure was done.

Avila went to Rino Center in Juarez last month, according to her husband.

Text messages provided by Avila’s family show Avila telling Dr. Judith Hernandez for clarification on the sedation procedure, telling Hernandez that she was a nervous person and was concerned about her blood pressure.

“They told me that they had some issues with her blood pressure and they weren’t able to do the procedure, but that they were waiting for her to come out of the anesthesia,” said Enrique Cruz, Avila’s husband.

Approximately eight hours later, Avila had to be taken to a hospital in Ciudad Juarez because she had suffered cardiac arrest, according to Cruz.

According to Avila’s sister, Angie, Avila was put in an induced coma at a Juarez hospital. Avila never received her cosmetic procedure because the anesthesia damaged her, said Angie Avila.

“What they told me is that the anesthesia went to her brain instead of her body and that’s why she was in that state,” Cruz said.

Avila came out of the coma Nov. 3, said Angie.

Avila was later transported to an El Paso hospital.

The family was given the option to pull Avila off life support or conduct two surgeries that would keep her alive but in a vegetative state. The family decided to take her off life support.

“Knowing Laura, she’s so full of life and love and she’s always been very active. She dances, she sings, she does it all. We know for a fact that if she had to be here on Earth with us, she’d not want to be this way,” Angie said.

Chihuahua health inspectors shut down the clinic after finding several irregularities in the surgery room.

The Rino Center is now being investigated for possible medical negligence.

EARLIER : Dallas Woman Suffers Brain Damage After Plastic Surgery In Mexico

Laura Avila,  a 36-year-old Dallas woman, previously of the El Paso area, traveled to Juarez, Mexico, for a rhinoplasty, but instead of leaving the medical facility with a new nose, she left in critical condition.

Laura Avila booked the procedure for 7 a.m. at a plastic surgery facility on October 30, according to her sister Angie Avila. Angie said that at about 8 a.m., Laura was told some of the surgeons flying in from Guadalajara were running late and the surgery was pushed until Noon.

Enrique Cruz, Laura’s fiance, said he was told the procedure would take four hours, but when he returned around 4 p.m., he said he wasn’t able to see Laura. Cruz said that at about 9 p.m., the director of the medical facility told him Laura needed to be transferred to another hospital.

Angie said the doctors in Mexico told her Laura had anesthesia injected into her spine, but instead of flowing through her body, the anesthesia went to her brain. Angie said the complications resulted in Laura suffering severe complications and suffering severe global brain damage.

After spending four days in a hospital in Juarez, Laura was transferred to University Medical Center in El Paso.

“She’s been in a bed. She hasn’t moved,” said Angie, “She’s opened her eyes, and there have been small movements, but she has a glazed look in her eyes. Doctors don’t believe she can see us. You know, she’s physically here, but not mentally here.”

A Chihuahua state investigator confirmed investigators searched Rinocenter, the facility where Laura sought the plastic surgery. Investigators looking into possible medical negligence seized medical records related to the case.

“It will be necessary to obtain all the clinical and medical information on this procedure so we can be in a position to determine if the crime of medical negligence happened,” the state investigator said, “We will be gathering information on the case and expect to make a determination in a few days.”

The Avila family said that staff at UMC said there is nothing more that can be done for Laura, leaving them with a daunting decision: remove her from life-support or transfer her to another medical facility closer to home.

“As a family we need to decide whether we want to remove her from life-support, ” said Angie. “We cry every single day and I think, right now, we’re just shocked and don’t want to believe it’s true, you know. She is the person I love the most on this earth, she’s a second mom to me.”

Cruz said he has been together with Laura for more than 10 years and he will remain by her side. “We actually got married by God,” Cruz said. “No matter what happens I want her to know I have a special place my heart (for her).”


Kim Boateng

Kim Boateng

Staff Writer

Leave a Reply