Man Sucked Into MRI Machine Dies, Hospital Staff Arrested

by Kim Boateng Posted on January 30th, 2018

Mumbai, India : Three staff of Nair Hospital in Agripada in south Mumbai have been arrested following the death of a 32-year-old man, Rajesh Maru, who died after he was sucked into an MRI machine as he walked into the room with an oxygen cylinder at the Hospital on Saturday night

Rajesh Maru was visiting an elderly female relative at Nair Hospital when the freak incident happened. The patient was given an oxygen cylinder to breathe from and Maru was carrying it for her while she was taken for an MRI scan.

The machines have a strong magnetic field when operating, and patients undergoing scans are not allowed to carry metal items such as jewelry.

Maru’s brother-in-law, who was also at the hospital, told police that Maru stopped at the entrance to the MRI room but was told to enter by staff who assured him the machine was switched off, reports NDTV.

Suddenly Maru was sucked into the device, becoming trapped between the machine’s frame and the metal oxygen cylinder he was holding. After he was pulled from the machine he was rushed to the emergency ward, but died within minutes. Maru’s family are accusing the hospital of medical negligence over the incident.

Agripada police have registered a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against the hospital administration.

Three employees were reportedly detained for questioning Sunday morning. The police investigation continues, and authorities are reviewing CCTV footage of the incident.

All three staff members have been suspended by the hospital and an inquiry has been launched, although the hospital has denied wrongdoing.

“There are boards and signs put up that say you cannot carry metal inside. Instructions are given,” hospital dean Dr Ramesh Bharmal told CNN-News18. “We are conducting an inquiry. If anyone is found to be at fault, action will be taken. It seems like an accident.”

A small protest was held at Bharmal’s office by family members and locals demanding the hospital accept responsibility for the death. Compensation of 500,000 rupees (US$7,900) for Maru’s family has been announced by Chief Minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis.

Leave a Reply