Patrick Frazee killed Kelsey Berreth with baseball bat, burned body: GF told police

by Samuel Abasi Posted on February 19th, 2019
Woodland Park, Colorado:  A nurse who said she loved Patrick Frazee and wished to please him told investigators he confessed to her that he beat Kelsey Berreth to death with a baseball bat and burned her body on his ranch, according to testimony at a preliminary hearing Tuesday.

The nurse, Idaho resident Krystal Jean Lee Kenney, told police that Frazee said he scooped up her remains from a fire ignited with gasoline and oil, and either left them in a dump or threw them in a river, Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Gregg Slater testified at Frazee’s preliminary hearing in Teller County District Court.

Frazee, who is accused of two counts of murder and three counts of solicitation to commit murder in his fiancée’s death, allegedly ordered Kenney to clean up the mess, which included blood spatter sprayed all over Berreth’s apartment.

She used cleaner to wipe down walls, a couch, a refrigerator, the floors and chairs. But she later showed authorities several locations where she intentionally left blood spatter, including near a fireplace, so that she could lead them to the evidence.

In other dramatic testimony Tuesday morning, Slater said Kenney admitted that Frazee asked her to kill Berreth by putting poison in her coffee in September. He then asked her to beat Berreth with a metal pipe on two occasions in October, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it because that wasn’t what she was like, Slater said.

Frazee wanted Kenney to kill Berreth to “protect the innocent,” according to testimony. Frazee had told Kenney that Berreth was a terrible mom who physically abused their daughter Kaylee on several occasions, including burning her with a hair curler, Slater testified.

But Slater confirmed that authorities had not received any reports of abuse of Kaylee and that she was a happy girl with no prior injuries.

In a 4 1/2-hour taped interview with her attorney present, Kenney told Slater that she bought Berreth’s favorite mocha coffee at Starbucks, took it to Berreth’s townhome in Woodland Park and gave it to her under the guise that Kenney recently moved next door to her. However, the agent said Kenney claimed she didn’t poison the drink.

Slater testified that after law enforcement searched Berreth’s house twice in early December and found no evidence of blood, Berreth’s parents texted pictures they took in her bathroom of blood in the toilet and on the doorknob and floor. CBI technicians than went to the home and found blood on the exterior of the bathtub, on the toilet, a doorknob, on the floor and beneath a trash can, in a light fixture, on a towel rack and vanity hinges, and on the walls. There was blood on the refrigerator and evidence it was wiped down.

Tests showed that it was Berreth’s blood. Slater said investigators believed at that time that Berreth met with foul play.

Kenney told investigators that Frazee was angry when he learned she did not poison his fiancée. Kenney texted him later, apologizing for not killing Berreth. But he texted her that she would have another opportunity, Slater testified.

The prosecution’s case is largely built on evidence surrounding Berreth’s cellular phone. Although Frazee claimed he last spoke with Berreth at 12:27 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, investigators determined that her phone ended up at his ranch in Florissant that night based on pings off of nearby cellular towers, Slater testified.

Kenney admitted that she took Berreth’s cellular phone to Idaho to throw off the investigation. While she traveled through Colorado, Utah and Idaho, it was apparent that Kenney’s personal phone was in the exact same location as Berreth’s phone. based on cellular towers, Slater said.

A preliminary hearing requires prosecutors to demonstrate why they believe Berreth is dead and why they pegged Frazee as the suspected killer. Typically only one or two witnesses, including detectives, offer a synopsis of the case, including key evidence against the defendant.

The case has captured the attention of national media representatives who huddled outside the 1904 courthouse while it snowed, photographing and filming Frazee as he entered the building.


  • Idaho nurse claims Patrick Frazee tied sweater around Kelsey Berreth’s face, beat her to death with bat
  • Kelsey Berreth’s parents claim Patrick Frazee killed Berreth over custody dispute, court documents state
  • Idaho nurse believed Patrick Frazee would kill her if she didn’t help cover up Kelsey Berreth murder, CBS reports
  • Nurse pleads guilty to tampering, admits taking Kelsey Berreth’s cellphone to Idaho to thwart investigation
  • Judge rules Kelsey Berreth’s 1-year-old will remain with woman’s parents as murder case against father continues

Berreth’s body has not been found, and prosecutors have not specified what evidence they have to prove she is dead. Prosecutors also have not said what motive drove Frazee to allegedly kill the mother of his child.

Berreth was last seen on Nov. 22 shopping at a Safeway grocery store with the couple’s 1-year-old daughter, Kaylee.

On Feb. 8, Kenney, 32, a Twin Falls, Idaho, nurse pleaded guilty to felony tampering in the same Cripple Creek courthouse, acknowledging she took Berreth’s cellphone to Idaho to disrupt the investigation into the missing woman’s disappearance.

Image: From left are Kelsey Berreth and Patrick Frazee.

Leave a Reply