Houston, TX, USA: – Ten-year-old Fernando Hernandez Jr. was playing hide-and-seek with friends at an east Houston apartment complex when he apparently climbed into the laundry room dryer. The death of the Harris Elementary School 3rd grader has been ruled accidental based on an autopsy report released Monday, which showed he died from electrocution.
Friends found him unconscious inside the dryer and called for help.
Police responded to the east Houston apartment complex where the family lives around 6 p.m. Friday.
Christina Rodriguez said her son Fernando Hernandez Jr., 10, was playing with his 9-year-old brother.
“I don’t know what happened. I was just inside cooking and my little son came inside and told me my son was dead,” said Rodriguez. “I should have been outside with him,” she said
Rodriguez said she ran outside and her boyfriend picked her son up. “He was purple and his eyes were open, he was gone,” she said while crying.
Police said the boys may have been playing hide-and-seek.
Rodriguez said she saw her son alive a half hour before he was found.
Paramedics gave him CPR at the scene.
Fernando, the oldest of four children, was rushed to Bayshore Hospital but doctors couldn’t save him.
Grief counselors are helping kids at the Harris elementary school that Fernando attended with his younger brother.
“He was so friendly, everybody loved him,” said his mom.