Boat explodes after New Zealand man checks on gas leak with lit match

by Bamidele Ogunberu Posted on December 28th, 2018

Common sense is probably not in this man’s toolbox. A New Zealand man was seriously injured after the boat he was on exploded Thursday near Motuihe Island in the Hauraki Gulf just east of the city of Auckland.

The New Zealand Herald reported that the coast guard was alerted about a gas explosion at 3 p.m.

The explosion was caused after an unnamed man in his 60s had checked on a gas leak aboard the boat by lighting a match. The man suffered superficial burns to his face and hands.

“He smelt gas and confirmed that there was gas by lighting a match. Which is a very tried and true method of finding gas. Unfortunately, it is not a very good method,” paramedic Chris Deacon of the Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter told the Herald.

Deacon said the middle-aged man jumped into the water after the explosion and in the process lost “quite a bit of hair, he lost his eyebrows and eyelashes.”

The match-lighting man was airlifted to Auckland City Hospital and was treated for his injuries.

The coast guard stated that it’s best to check for any gas leaks with a soapy water solution, where bubbles will show where gas will escape.

Deacon added: “If you smell gas, don’t light a match to prove it.”

Leave a Reply