OZUBULU, NIGERIA, 6th August 2017: Nnamdi Azikwe University Teaching Hospital, NAUTH, has confirmed 12 dead victims are in it’s mortuary from the shooting today by at least one gunman in St. Philips Catholic Church, Ozubulu, in Nigeria’s Anambra State. It is still not clear how many people took part part in the shooting inside the church as “eye witness or anonymous sources” accounts appear to contradict each other.
“Eye witness or anonymous sources” however appear to agree with the police version suggesting the bloodshed was due to a local feud between two families overseas.
“Eye witness or anonymous sources” Version 1 ONE GUNMAN
See our post tilted “Man Opens Fire In Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Nigeria Killing 8”. This is “closer” to the police version.
Garba Umar, Anambra State police Commissioner, said the attacker was a gunman who “went on a shooting spree, killing and wounding” worshippers. He said the violence was the result of a failed murder attempt, tied to a feud within the local community.
“The information at the disposal of the police is that the gunman had been hired to kill a particular family person believed to be among the worshippers,” he said.
“Eye witness or anonymous sources” Version 2A FIVE GUNMEN
These “witnesses” said five gunmen in masks stormed the church, disagreeing with the police who said the killing was the work of a lone shooter. Local rights activist Emeka Umeagbalasi said five gunmen had gone to kill the son of a local chief but failed to find him at his home. Umeagbalasi continued that the attackers then went to the church to hunt for him, but could not find the intended target and became angry.
St. Philips Catholic Church, Ozubulu
The five gunmen opened “fire on parishioners and shot indiscriminately”, Emeka Umeagbalasi said, adding that the father of the intended target was shot and wounded.
“Eye witness or anonymous sources” Version 2B FIVE GUNMEN
This is trending on social media. The attack is rumored on social media to be a spillover of a drug related feud, between two Ozubulu brothers who live in South Africa. The main matter was said to be between Chief Aloysius Ikegwuonu a.k.a Bishop (rumored by locals to be a drug baron), and another Ozubulu man popularly known as Obrocho.
These “Eye witness or anonymous sources” claim that 5 gunmen had traced Chief Aloysius Ikegwuonu to his house, but were told he had gone to church where he was meant to hold a thanksgiving service. The 5 gunmen then went to St. Philips Catholic Church, Ozubulu to look for
Chief Aloysius Ikegwuonu.
Chief Aloysius Ikegwuonu was not there and the 5 gunmen angrily opened fire on the congregation. These “eye witnesses” claim the drug war between Chief Aloy Ikegwuonu a.k.a Bishop and Obrocho has previously claimed several lives in South Africa.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the attack on worshippers in Ozubulu
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the attack, describing the incident as “an appalling crime against humanity and unspeakable sacrilege”, his office said. Buhari said “there was no justification whatsoever to target church worshippers and kill them in cold blood”.
Speaker of Nigeria’s House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara called the attack “barbaric…the height of wickedness”. He extended his condolences to families of the victims, assuring them that the government would do everything within its power to track down those responsible.
Man Opens Fire In Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Nigeria Killing 8
OZUBULU, NIGERIA, 6th August 2017: A man dressed in black attire covering his face with a cap entered St. Philip Catholic Church, Ozubulu, in Nigeria’s Anambra State during 6am Sunday morning mass today and opened fire on worshipers killing 8 and wounding 18. The shooting does not appear to be random, according to sources who want to remain anonymous for fear of being targeted. The sources claim the gunman knew his intended targets as he walked straight towards those he came to kill and speaking in a fluent local dialect opened fire. Unfortunately, he did not stop there and began shooting indiscriminately at everybody else as he made his get away, the sources said. They insist the shooter is a local and believe the shooting is a carry over of an ongoing feud between two Ozubulu men who live overseas. The sources seem to be saying it is a contract killing possibly ordered by one of two feuding families overseas. The fued between these families appears to be well known in the city of Ozubulu. Note that these are unofficial sources, so take what they say, for whatever that is worth.
The Anambra state Commissioner of Police, Mr Garba Umar on Sunday confirmed that death of eight worshippers and injury to 18 others in an early morning attack on St.Philip Catholic Church, Ozubulu. Mr Garba Umar told Nigeria’s national news agency in Awka that the remains of the dead had been deposited at Nnamdi Azikwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi. Umar also said that the injured had been taken to the hospital.
Chief Aloysius Ikegwuonu aka Bishop
He also said that preliminary investigations by the police indicate that the attack may have been carried out by an indigene of the area.
Umar said though no arrest had been made, the police are now working on the theory that the attack may be the aftermath of a quarrel between two natives of Ozubulu residing overseas but would follow the evidence wherever it leads.
He said the police have launched a manhunt for those behind the act and gave an assurance that the perpetrators would soon be brought to justice.
Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, visited the scene and promised to pay the medical bills of the injured
During his visit to the scene of the incident, the The Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano who was visibly shocked at such callous act said it was chilling and sacrilege that worshippers at such alarming number would be killed inside a church.
He also told the crowd he addressed that a preliminary investigation into the matter has revealed that the incident is spillover of fracas between two brothers from Ozubulu resident outside the country.