Odd

Man Opens Fire In Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Nigeria Killing 8

by Bamidele Ogunberu Posted on August 6th, 2017

OZUBULU, NIGERIA,  6th August 2017: A man dressed in black attire covering his face with a cap entered St. Philip Catholic Church, Ozubulu, in Nigeria’s Anambra State during 6am Sunday morning mass today and opened fire on worshipers killing 8 and wounding 18. The shooting does not appear to be random, according to sources who want to remain anonymous for fear of being targeted. The sources claim the gunman knew his intended targets as he walked straight towards those he came to kill and speaking in a fluent local dialect opened fire. Unfortunately, he did not stop there and began shooting indiscriminately at everybody else as he made his get away, the sources said. They insist the shooter is a local and believe the shooting is a carry over of an ongoing feud between two Ozubulu men who live overseas. The sources seem to be saying it is a contract killing possibly ordered by one of two feuding families overseas. The fued between these families appears to be well known in the city of Ozubulu. Note that these are unofficial sources, so take what they say, for whatever that is worth.

The Anambra state Commissioner of Police, Mr Garba Umar on Sunday confirmed that death of eight worshippers and injury to 18 others in an early morning attack on St.Philip Catholic Church, Ozubulu. Mr Garba Umar told Nigeria’s national news agency in Awka that the remains of the dead had been deposited at Nnamdi Azikwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi. Umar also said that the injured had been taken to the hospital.

He also said that preliminary investigations by the police indicate that the attack may have been carried out by an indigene of the area.
Umar said though no arrest had been made, the police are now working on the theory that the attack may be the aftermath of a quarrel between two natives of Ozubulu residing overseas but would follow the evidence wherever it leads.

He said the police have launched a manhunt for those behind the act and gave an assurance that the perpetrators would soon be brought to justice.

During his visit to the scene of the incident, the The Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano who was visibly shocked at such callous act said it was chilling and sacrilege that worshippers at such alarming number would be killed inside a church.

He also told the crowd he addressed that a preliminary investigation into the matter has revealed that the incident is spillover of fracas between two brothers from Ozubulu resident outside the country.

Author

Bamidele Ogunberu

Bamidele Ogunberu

Staff Writer
Phone
Email

Leave a Reply