Director Army Public Relations Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman in a press statement today says 6 members of oil exploration team are still missing and the “rescue team has recovered additional bodies of 5 soldiers, 11 Civilian JTF and 5 members of the exploration team”.
He also said “Most regrettable also is my earlier release on the said incident about the rescue of all NNPC Staff. The error in the statement was not deliberate
The Nigerian Army condoles with the families of all that lost their loved ones in this unfortunate incident. Search and rescue efforts are on-going. We are counting on the goodwill and support of the populace in volunteering valuable information that could help in the search and rescue operation.
What the remnants of the militants terrorists are doing are pure criminal activities of abducting to gain funds. This has been noted and will be jointly addressed in conjunction with other Security Services.
The Nigerian Army remains resolute in the fight against terrorism and would not relent in its effort to safe guard lives of citizens, properties and the territorial integrity of the country.”
Military Chiefs Relocate To Maiduguri After militants Kills Oil Workers In Botched Rescue – Defence Minister
Nigeria Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali announced today that all military chiefs are to relocate to Maiduguri command centre with immediate effect. He said this after a meeting with Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo in the Presidential Villa, Abuja which was also attended by Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS); Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Vice Admiral Ekwe Ite-Ibas, Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), and Air Vice Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, the Chief of Air Staff (CAS).
This follows the killing of Oil workers by militants during a botched rescue attempt by the army and the cessation of oil exploration in the Chad basin announced by Oil Minister, Ibe Kachikwu.
After militants Murder Of Oil Workers, FG Suspends Oil Exploration In Chad Basin
Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr. Ibe kachikwu, says the Nigerian government has suspended crude oil exploration in Borno State and would only resume if it gets sufficient security clearance guaranteeing the safety of its personnel and operations.
Mr. Ibe kachikwu, also stated that the military is still collating data concerning the attack and cannot confirm the actual number of people who died.
ARMY SAID OIL WORKERS WERE RESCUED BUT WE WERE GIVEN DEAD BODIES – UNIMAID SPOKESMAN
“We got the impression our staff on the team were rescued because that was what the military spokesman said yesterday. But we were shocked when we were given four dead bodies. This means it wasn’t a rescue. We still have other staff that are yet to be accounted for.” Maiduguri University spokesman Dani Mamman said. He said that Boko Killed over 40 including soldiers and at least 5 members of the oil exploration team thereby contradicting the Army which said all the team members were freed and 9 soldiers killed. The Unimaid spokesman said more bodies are still coming in and several others are still missing giving rise to fears the death toll may be much higher than 40.
More than 40 people have died during an attempt by the Nigerian Army to free NNPC oil workers who were also used as consultants by the University of Maiduguri. Details of what happened on Tuesday remain unclear, with initial reports from the army suggesting the abducted geologists and surveyors, who worked at the University of Maiduguri, had been rescued.
On Tuesday, the army said the bodies of nine Nigerian soldiers and a civilian had been recovered.
But now the university has said at least five members of staff, including two academics and a driver, were killed when the heavily armed convoy made its way back to Maiduguri, in north-east Nigeria.
Several others remain missing.
Sources said that more than 40 people, most of them soldiers and volunteers from a vigilante group, had been killed in total – although other sources suggest the number killed may rise further still.
“The death toll keeps mounting,” a source said, adding: “More bodies are coming in.”
The high number of casualties will be a blow for the government, which insists the campain is all but defeated.