At Least 27 Killed, 83 Wounded By Female Suicide Bombers In Maiduguri, Nigeria

by Bamidele Ogunberu Last updated on April 8th, 2018,

MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA. According to local officials, a female suicide bomber blew herself up and killed at least 27 others at a market in Mandarari, Konduga Local Government Area, near Maiduguri, Northeast Nigeria on Tuesday. Two more suicide bombers detonated their devices at the gates to a nearby refugee camp, wounding many people, an emergency services official said. In all, 83 people were wounded in the three explosions near the city of Maiduguri, epicentre of the long-running conflict between government forces and militants. The attack bears the hallmark of the militants Islamic terror group.

Although details of the attack were still sketchy, a member of the civilian JTF, who identified himself as Aminu Sani said in Maiduguri that the number of casualties was not certain. He, however, said dozens were feared killed in the attack.

“Our people from Konduga and those who left from here with soldiers are yet to return. The National Emergency Management Agency and State Emergency Management Agency have also sent their staff to the area. I believe by tomorrow we should be able to know the number. The attack occurred at a motor park, and today is the market day, which means several people were affected.”

The army and the police are yet to make statement to this effect as of the time of this report.

This is coming barely five hours after the launching of the special force, mobile strike teams by the theatre commander operations Lafiya Dole, with directives to track down militants spiritual leader, Abubakar Shekau.
The attack by suicide bombers on Mandarari town of Konduga Local Government Area at about 5:50 pm was the third in series within the month of August, 2017.

Nigeria’s military last year wrested back large swathes of territory from the armed group. But they have struck back with renewed zeal since June, killing at least 143 people before Tuesday’s bombings and weakening the army’s control.

The group has waged an eight-year war to create an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria, and provoked international outrage by abducting more than 200 schoolgirls known as the Chibok Girls in April 2014.

More than 80 of the nearly 200 schoolgirls who were still missing after a mass militants abduction in northeast Nigeria in 2014 were freed in May in exchage for prisoners and three million euros paid in cash to militants by the Nigerian Government. More than 100 abducted Nigeria schoolgirls are still missing.

Last month, an oil prospecting team was captured by al-Barnawi’s group. At least 37 people, including members of the team, died when rescuers from the military and vigilantes attempted to free them.

The militants campain has killed 20,000 people and forced some 2.7 million to flee their homes in the last eight years

Author

Bamidele Ogunberu

Bamidele Ogunberu

Staff Writer
Phone
Email

Leave a Reply