Floyd Mayweather Denies Agreeing To Tenshin Nasukawa Fight

by Samuel Abasi Posted on November 8th, 2018

Floyd Mayweather has released a statement saying he never agreed to face Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in an official bout. Mayweather, 41, says he had only been asked to compete in a non-televised event for “wealthy spectators”.

That didn’t last long. Floyd Mayweather Jr. is staying retired after all, alleging that he was misled about the Sunday night press conference in Japan to announce his fight against Tenshin Nasukawa. In an Instagram post, Mayweather said he was led to believe the night would be a three-round exhibition.

Here is his full instagram post below:

“floydmayweather : Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regards to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced.

First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation”. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee.

This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide.

Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval.

For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions. “

In July, Floyd Mayweather was named the world’s highest-paid celebrity by Forbes, beating actor George Clooney into second place.

EARLIER : Floyd Mayweather To Fight Japanese Kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa

Tokyo, Japan : Floyd Mayweather announced on Sunday night at a Tokyo press conference that he will fight Japanese kickboxing sensation Tenshin Nasukawa in Japanese fighting league RIZIN on new year eve in Saitama, north of Tokyo.

Kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa, 20, has won all of his 27 kickboxing bouts and all four of his MMA fights, and will face Floyd at Saitama Super Arena, although it is as yet unclear as to which rules of combat their fight will adhere.

Mayweather is 50-0 in his boxing career but has never fought professionally under MMA rules. Although he did have a lucrative win over MMA fighter Conor McGregor last year.

Japanese promoter the RIZIN Fighting Federation on Monday said rules and the weight class for the bout have not been set.

“We still have some work to do,” said Nobuyuki Sakakibara, the RIZIN chairman.

The 20-year-old Nasukawa, speaking at a news conference alongside Mayweather, called it “probably the biggest even of my life so far.”

He also vowed to end Mayweather’s long string of victories.

“Nobody has defeated my opponent in the past, and I would like to be the man who makes history,” Nasukawa said, speaking through an interpreter. “My punch can change history. And I will show that to you. So please stay tuned.”

Mayweather sat calmly and then praised his young opponent.

“I think he’s young, very strong and very fast and he undefeated so it’s obvious he’s doing something right.

Mayweather explained that the chance to fight outside his native US, where he has staged each of his 50 professional fights, will be a chance to showcase his fighting skills to the world.

“I wanted to do something different. I wanted to display my skills outside the US and be in a special fight,” Mayweather said. “I spoke with my team and with RIZIN and we put it together.”

“I have fought in the US for all 50 of my fights. As a professional I haven’t had a chance to go outside the US to display my skills and to display my talent for the world.

“I look forward to giving you guys entertainment come December 31, but my relationship with RIZIN, it doesn’t stop just here. I look forward to taking this worldwide,” he added.

On Monday, Mayweather posted ominous snaps of himself posing in Rizin MMA gloves to his social media, hinting at a possible crossover fight. If an MMA bout does materialize, a mega-fight with Khabib would move a huge step closer to reality.

Strong rumours had surfaced of a potential matchup between Mayweather and Russian UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, in the immediate aftermath of the latter’s fourth-round submission of Conor McGregor at UFC 229.

Khabib called out the boxer in an Instagram video with Mayweather manager Leonard Ellerbe, saying “in the jungle, there can be only one king”, to which the boxer confirmed the two would definitely fight.

The only question that remained was whether the two would meet in a boxing ring or UFC octagon. After UFC president Dana White stated any potential fight would take place only under the auspices of the promotion, it seemed a boxing match – mooted to take place at Moscow’s Luzhniki Stadium – was firmly off the cards.

Author

Samuel Abasi

Samuel Abasi

Staff Writer
Phone
Email

Leave a Reply