New York City, USA: MMA Star, Conor McGregor, was arraigned Friday, in a New York courtroom, on charges of felony criminal mischief and misdemeanor assault, menacing and reckless endangerment following a backstage rampage at the the end of UFC 223 media day at Barclays Center in Brooklyn Thursday.
Enraged McGregor had picked up a nearby dolly and thrown it at a bus window, shattering it – breaking the hand of one UFC employee and injuring some fighters.
McGregor was released on $50,000 bond and is due back in court June 14.
McGregor’s friend and co-defendant Cian Cowley was released on $25,000 bond and also is due in court in June.
McGregor spoke only to acknowledge that he understood the conditions of his release, saying, “Yes, your honor.”
Video footage appeared to show the promotion’s most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters on Thursday after a news conference for UFC 223 at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.
McGregor was trying to get at UFC 223 main event fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov because the Russian had been involved in a hotel altercation with fellow fighter Artem Lobov. McGregor tried to stick up for Lobov, a close friend, and apparently loaded a private jet with his best buds and flew to New York to rumble.
UFC President Dana White said Friday he spoke to McGregor via text and the brawler said the confrontation “had to be done.”
“It was probably the worst conversation we ever had,” White reportedly said on Friday. “We talked yesterday before he turned himself in.
“It’s not that I don’t think he understood what happened. He justified it. It was justified to him.”
White said the 29-year-old McGregor said he was sorry about the fighters who were injured, but, “this had to be done.”
Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were both pulled from the fight because of injuries suffered on the bus from McGregor’s shenanigans.
Video showed McGregor with a group of people causing chaos Thursday as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade at a bus during his unannounced appearance in New York.
“Guys will say things, push, shove, grab each other. These things have happened,” White said. “People have slapped each other. We can deal with all of that stuff. But when you bring in twenty hoodlums that flew in from Ireland to basically do this at our event, there’s nothing like this that has ever happened.”
White had not talked to McGregor since the court appearance and said this was no publicity stunt.
Lobov was pulled from Saturday’s card for his involvement in the ugly act.
McGregor hasn’t fought for UFC since November 2016 and was stripped this week by White of the 155-pound championship he had never defended.
McGregor profanely responded on Twitter and wrote, “You’ll strip me of nothing.”
The brashness was muted as cameras snapped Friday when he was brought out of a New York City police station in handcuffs.
White said earlier this week in New York that McGregor would fight again for UFC this year. McGregor’s actions now put future fights in doubt. He could have had his pick of rich fights. A rematch against Mayweather inside the cage? A third fight against Nate Diaz? It all seemed possible — and it now seems a long way off.
UFC has not immediately issued discipline against its biggest box office attraction.
McGregor once held the 145 and 155-pound championships at the same time and boldly stated he wanted an ownership stake in UFC.
But the trash-talking, egocentric has been out of the fight game except for his money fight with Mayweather that made him wealthy enough to never need to step inside the cage again.
The Mayweather bout last August was his last professional fight and McGregor and his girlfriend also had a son last year.
But not even fatherhood could mellow the irate Irishman.
He was ordered to stay away from five people injured in the attack.
McGregor’s lawyer, Jim Walden, said there was no risk that McGregor would try to avoid coming back to court: “He’s the most visible face on the planet.”
It’s one usually plastered on a UFC poster.
This time, it was seen on a mug shot.
EARLIER: Video: MMA Star Conor McGregor Arrested For UFC 223 Media Day Rampage – MMA fighter Conor McGregor has been arrested and charged with assault by the New York City Police Department, NYPD, following a rampage at the the end of UFC 223 media day at Barclays Center in Brooklyn Thursday.
Conor McGregor is captured on video picking up a dolly and smashing the side window of a bus leaving the Barclays Center with several UFC fighters inside, including Khabib Nurmagomedov. He also attempted to throw a metal guardrail at the departing bus.
UFC President Dana White reportedly said that McGregor and his crew “[…] started to attack the buses, throwing trash cans and dollies and things like that — broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa really bad. He cut his head, he cut his face.” […] “Obviously everybody’s shaken up… this is the most disgusting thing that’s ever happened in the history of this company.”
“It’s disgusting. I don’t think anyone’s going to be a huge Conor McGregor fan after this. The police are going to take care of Conor,” said White. “The police are gonna handle Conor.”.
Conor McGregor wasn’t supposed to be at UFC 223. At least not according to Dana White in the days leading up to the event. But an altercation in a Brooklyn hotel, between Khabib Nurmagomedov and McGregor friend and teammate Artem Lobov apparently drove the UFC double-champ into a rage.
McGregor and his entourage stormed the Barclays Center searching for Khabib, eventually finding him on the UFC ‘red corner’ bus for the UFC 223 fighters. McGregor picked up a nearby dolly and threw it at a bus window, shattering it. The incident apparently broke the hand of one UFC employee, while also showering Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg with glass. Chiesa was taken to the hospital immediately for minor cuts, and Borg has since been hospitalized due to eye trouble. Rose Namajunas reportedly considered pulling out of the event after McGregor’s actions.
According to news reports, Borg has been taken out of his fight against Brandon Moreno, and Chiesa was also pulled out of his scheduled main card fight against Anthony Pettis. The reasons were said to be in relation to the injuries that they both sustained from the incident.
The rest of the card will seemingly go on as planned, as UFC 223 takes place on Saturday, April 7th, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.