Kabul, Afghanistan: A militant attack on Afghan government facilities in has killed 29 people, including 28 civilians and a policeman.
Three assailants have also been killed, Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said on Monday, after the seven-hour standoff.
The attack began on Monday afternoon when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a car outside the public works ministry, according to agency reports.
Militants then stormed the building of the National Authority for Disabled People and Martyrs Families, taking civilians hostage as they fought a gun battle against Afghan soldiers.
No militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack
Sixteen civilians and one policeman were also injured, Mr Najib said, adding that Afghan forces now have the situation under control.
A total of 357 people were rescued during the clearing operation by security forces.
A social media user posted on Facebook that some people were stuck inside the Public Works Ministry earlier in the day.
“They are killing everyone, don’t know what to do?????” the man posted, asking people to pray.
The area has been closed off by police and special units were at the scene.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
Monday’s incident marks the 22nd attack in Kabul since January this year.