New York, USA. Sept. 17: A senior Kuwaiti diplomat said today, Sunday, that North Korea’s ambassador has been given a month to leave the Gulf state. Kuwait has also downgraded its diplomatic representation with Pyongyang and North Korea’s diplomatic presence in the emirate will also be reduced to a charge d’affaires and three diplomats.
Kuwait has also decided to stop issuing visas to North Koreans and suspend all trade relations and flight links with Pyongyang.
Kuwait earlier informed the U.N. Security Council (UNSC), that it has decided to deport a senior North Korean diplomat and has stopped issuing new visas for North Koreans according to Kuwait’s U.N. sanctions implementation report.
In the report to the U.N. Security Council (UNSC), Kuwait reportedly said it has decided to cut the number of North Korean diplomats in the country to four from the current nine. On the deportation list is Pyongyang’s ambassador to Kuwait So Chang-sik.
The move is in line with UNSC Resolution 2321 adopted last year to punish the North’s fifth nuclear test. Kuwait will become the third country to send back a North Korean ambassador under a U.N. resolution following Mexico and Peru, the VOA report said.
On Monday, the UNSC adopted its ninth sanctions resolution against the North, this time in response to its sixth and most powerful nuke test on Sept. 3. Despite the fresh package of sanctions, Pyongyang staged yet another missile provocation on Friday.
Kuwait will not renew permits given to North Korean workers to re-enter the country after projects they are currently working on are completed “within one or two years”. There are between 2,000 and 2,500 North Korean workers in Kuwait, and thousands more are believed to be working in other Gulf states.
The measures follow a visit less than two weeks ago by Kuwait Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah to Washington.
South Korea and Japan have reportedly been putting pressure on Gulf states to stop employing North Korean workers because money they sent home was benefiting the regime
On Friday, North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan and into the Pacific, responding to new UN sanctions with what appeared to be its furthest-ever missile flight amid high tensions over its weapons programme. North Korea issued new threats, calling to “reduce the U.S. mainland into ashes” and saying Japan “should be sunken into the sea by the nuclear bomb.”
The missile was reportedly launched from around the North Korean capitol, Pyongyang, and flew eastward over the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido around 7 a.m. local time, according to NHK.
The missile splashed into the Pacific Ocean, and no damage or injuries in Japan were reported. North Korea previously fired a ballistic missile over northern Japan on Aug. 28. This is the rogue nation’s 13th missile test this year.
Photo: DPRK Fires Another Missile Over Japan
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres condemned the missile test, and said talks on the situation would be held on the sidelines of the General Assembly meeting next week.
US President Donald Trump and his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-In have pledged “stronger pressure” on Pyongyang, Seoul said Sunday, after North Korea defied tough new sanctions with the test and said it wanted to match American nuclear strength.