Nigeria Acting President Condemns Manchester Bombing. Condoles With UK

by Kim Boateng Last updated on May 25th, 2017,

Nigeria Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has condemned “the despicable terrorist attack on innocent people in Manchester, United Kingdom yesterday, Monday, May 22, 2017.”

A statement by his spokesman, Laolu Akande, said “On behalf of the people and Government of Nigeria, Prof Osinbajo expresses heartfelt condolences and solidarity with the government and people of the United Kingdom in this period of grief.”

Describing the attack as a dastardly act and heinous crime, Osinbajo assured Prime Minister Theresa May that the prayers and thoughts of Nigerians were with the British people as they mourned the victims, many of the them young people.
Alleged formation of cult group: Wike risks God’s wrath – Amaechi

The statement added that the “Acting President Osinbajo is confident that light of the civilised world will always prevail against the darkness of depravity, and he trusts that Britons and citizens of other nations across the world will continue to show resilience and courage in the wake of such terrorist crimes”.

“He prays that God Almighty will comfort the bereaved families and also wishes a speedy recovery for the injured.”

Queen Elizabeth II has also expressed her sympathies over the attack which occurred at an Ariana Grande concert.

Following the attack, the UK government has raised its terrorist threat level from “severe” to “critical”. Prime Minister Theresa May said that “a further attack may be imminent”.

Armed police who usually protect places such as the UK parliament will be replaced by members of the armed forces, and military personnel also may be deployed at public events.

The death toll from Monday night’s attack stands at 22, with a further 119 injured.
Children are among the dead. The youngest so far identified is eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos.

Police have named the suspected suicide bomber as Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old former student at the University of Salford. He is believed to have been born in Manchester and his family is originally from Libya.

The Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the attack, although authorities are treating this with some scepticism.

Thousands of mourners have gathered in Manchester’s city centre for a candlelight vigil to pay tribute to the victims.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade now urges a “high degree of caution” for anyone visiting Britain.

HERE IS A FULL TEXT OF THE PRESS RELEASE:

STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE
Office of the Acting President
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 23, 2017

ACTING PRESIDENT CONDEMNS TERRORIST ATTACK IN MANCHESTER, CONDOLES GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE OF UNITED KINGDOM

Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, strongly condemns the despicable terrorist attack on innocent
people in Manchester, United Kingdom yesterday, Monday, May 22, 2017.
On behalf of the people and Government of Nigeria, Prof Osinbajo expresses heartfelt condolences and
solidarity with the government and people of the United Kingdom in this period of grief.
Describing the attack as a dastardly act and heinous crime, Acting President Osinbajo assures Prime
Minister Theresa May that the prayers and thoughts of Nigerians are with the British people as they
mourn the victims, many of the them being young people.
Acting President Osinbajo is confident that light of the civilised world will always prevail against the
darkness of depravity, and he trusts that Britons and citizens of other nations across the world will
continue to show resilience and courage in the wake of such terrorist crimes.
He prays that God Almighty will comfort the bereaved families and also wishes a speedy recovery for
the injured

Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant to the
President on Media & Publicity
Office of the Vice President
May 23, 2017

Author

Kim Boateng

Kim Boateng

Staff Writer
Phone
Email

Leave a Reply