South Africa Policemen Denied Bail For Killing Nigerian Man, Ebuka Okori

by Bamidele Ogunberu Posted on January 23rd, 2018

Durban, South Africa : The two South African policemen responsible for the death of 27-Year-old Nigerian Man, Ebuka Okori, have been remanded in prison and denied bail. Okori was allegedly killed by two members of the South African Police Service (SAPS), on Friday. The alleged killer duo were ordered to be remanded in prison custody till Monday, January 29, when the case would come up for further hearing.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa, senior special assistant to the Nigerian president on foreign affairs and diaspora, said consular officers from the Nigerian consulate-general in Johannesburg and the Nigerian high commission in Pretoria were in Durban to witness the court proceeding.

Commenting on the latest development, Dabiri-Erewa appealed to Nigerians living in the affected areas to remain calm and await the outcome of the judicial proceedings.

In a statement issued by her media aide, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, Dabiri-Erewa condemned the deaths.

“We condemn in strong terms the barbaric acts and call on the South African authorities to intervene and put an end to this ugly trend,” the statement read.

“We also call on Nigerians to continue to be law abiding, as we work towards obtaining justice for the family of the deceased.”

The Nigerian community reportedly mobilised its members to the court where the suspects were denied bail.

The Nigerian community in South Africa had alleged that Ebuka Okori, was killed by the police in Durban in the early hours of Friday.

Bartholomew Eziagulu, the Chairman of the Nigerian Union chapter in Kwazulu Natal Province of South Africa, said the victim was a native of Umunze in Orumba North Local Government of Anambra, according to state media.

He said that an eyewitness informed the union that two police officers in mufti forcefully gained access to the victim’s house at Campbell Street in Durban at 2.amon Friday.

According to him, the officers immediately demanded money from Okori.

Eziagulu said: “When he refused, he was handcuffed, taken outside and shot dead. The officers took away his cell phone, e-passport and other valuable documents.

“The relative of the victim was tortured and robbed of his belongings while a third victim, a South African, was also robbed.”

Eziagulu said that the Okori’s brother escaped from the house and called for help.

He said: “The Metro Police around the vicinity swiftly intervened and picked the vehicle number of the assailants.”

Eziagulu said that police detectives and another special police team which investigates complaints against their colleagues had been assisting to arrest the culprits.

Adetola Olubajo, the President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, said that the national secretariat had been informed about the incident.

He said that the union was monitoring the situation and had informed the Nigerian Mission and the South African police.

In a related development, the consulate said investigation is on to unravel the cause of the death of another Nigerian in Rustenburg, north west province, South Africa on January 20.

Leave a Reply